Weekly 3D Challenge #8: Mini Shoppers
It is time for the Weekly 3D Challenge over at Stampin’ Connection! Woohoo! And this week’s challenge ties in perfectly with a Wedding Wednesday too! So double Woohoo!
For this week’s challenge, I am challenging my fellow demos to make a MINI SHOPPER!
The reason I call it a Mini Shopper is because it kind of looks like one of those fancy shopping bags that you get when you shop at those fancy stores. I guess you could call this a mini bag or purse, but I like shopping, so I’m gonna stick with Mini Shopper
Now, I don’t expect everyone to know how to make these just by looking at it, so here are some instructions (sans photos…sorry folks! still uber busy!) but trust me, it’s easy enough that you won’t need photos to follow along with my instructions! These will be basic instructions to create the mini shopping bag itself, not the specific one I created above. You’ll get to decorate yours however you want!
- For the body of the bag, you will need one piece of cardstock measuring 9″ x 3 3/8″ and two pieces of cardstock measuring 3 3/4″ x 2 1/2″ (for the sides of the shopper)
- For the bag handles, you will need two strips of cardstock measuring 6 1/2″ x 5/8″ and four brads to attach the handles to the bag.
- You will also need Sticky Strip, a bone folder, Scissors and your Crop-a-Dile
- First, take the 9″ x 3 3/8″ piece of cardstock and, using a bone folder, score it at 3 1/2″ and 5 1/2″. This piece creates the front, bottom, and back of the shopper. Decorate this piece however you’d like. You can decorate it after the bag is assembled, but it’s just not as easy.
- Once you’ve decorated the face of the shopper, use your Crop-a-Dile to punch two holes near the top of each face of the shopper. You should have four holes punched when you’re done.
- Next, punch a hole in each end of the bag handles.
- Use brads to attach the handles to the bag.
- For the sides of the bag, take the two 3 3/4″ x 2 1/2″ pieces and score them 1/4″ in from three sides (score in from both of the long sides and just one of the short sides).
- Cut off the two little squares created by the score lines in the corners of the side pieces.
- Fold along the score lines of everything you’ve scored and use sticky strip to attach the 1/4″ flaps of the side pieces to the body of the bag. Now you have a cute Mini Shopper!
These little bags are so fun and easy to make, and you can decorate them for any occasion! Plus, you can fill them with anything you’d like, too! Just think: create and decorate your little bags using your wedding colors and motif, then fill it with some candy in a nice cello bag for a cute and hand-made wedding favor. Make it double as your place cards or escort cards by decorating one side of the bag with your guests’ names and table numbers! OR fill them with some sweet mini notes and envelopes or a small gift and give them to your bridesmaids! So many uses for weddings, and a fun DIY project!
I’ve sized these Mini Shoppers to fit some 3 x 3 note cards and envelopes, but like I just said, you can fill these with almost anything! The mini note cards I created used the Happy Moments stamp set from the Sale-a-Bration catalog! I honestly didn’t want this set originally, but when I saw how other people were coloring in this flower image, I just had to get it! Besides, it was FREE! I kept these minis super simple, keeping it to one layer. I just stamped the image and sentiment in Basic Black then used a Blender Pen to color in the image with some inks from the Rich Regals color family. They turned out super cute!
Scraps of Advice:
- I’m not positive, but I believe the Fancy Favor Sizzix Die is approximately the same size as these Mini Shoppers. So if you’re short on time, just cut out a Fancy Favor box with your Big Shot and add some handles! I don’t have that die yet, which is why I came up with my own way to create the bags.
- For a little variety, use some ribbon to create the handles. You’ll need to use a paper piercing tool to make a hole in the ribbon big enough to fit the wings of a brad through it. Using ribbon adds a nice touch of elegance to your shopper
For tomorrow, a bright and fun card using the Good Neighbors stamp set!
Scraps of Info:
- Sale-a-bration ends on March 31st! So if there are any fun Sale-a-Bration products still on your wish list, make sure to get them before they’re gone! All you have to do is spend $50 or more on Stampin’ Up! product! And remember that you can choose from over 75 other stamp sets from the Idea Book & Catalog as your free product! Don’t miss out!
- Need a copy of the Occasions Mini or Sale-a-Bration catalogs? Just email me with your U.S. address and I’ll send you a FREE copy!
- The Summer Mini Catalog is Coming Soon! So be prepared for a very special Sneak Peek Week next month where you’ll see projects using the newest and not-yet-released products from Stampin’ Up!
Stamp Set: Happy Moments (Sale-a-Bration, W-118664, C-119125)
Paper: Whisper White, Basic Black
Ink: Basic Black, Always Artichoke, Taken With Teal, Elegant Eggplant, Rose Red, So Saffron
Tools: Blender Pen, Crop-a-Dile, Bone Folder, Sticky Strip
Extras: Old Olive 5/8″ Satin Ribbon, Silver Brads